Thursday 27 October 2016

Episodic Memory (refabricated/confabulated) & Mnemonics

A Dialogue

Smith (nephew): I have to remember something in order to remember what I have to remember.
Uncle Tom: First of all, will you remember what I would like you to remember?

Smith: That is exactly what I am trying to say!
Uncle Tom: Listen! Remember the last time we went fishing? (Smith nods his head in agreement) Ah! You must remember that at least…
Smith: Do you mean the day we came back empty-handed? The day we were so embarrassed in front of Aunt Suzan?
Uncle Tom: That’s not important. I am trying to make a point here. Do you remember the day I shared my last wishes with you?
Smith: Ah! Yes! I remember the thundering storm because of which we caught nothing that day. Oh! Now, this reminds me how we talked about life and how it could be stormy and dark… How our bones will one day become too brittle and muscles too rigid to follow what we want. We also collected pebbles which looked just like ladybugs! Oh! Those pebbles…
Uncle Tom: Smith, that’s not the day we talked about my last wishes! True, the thundering storm had given us an empty catch. But it was the dry river bed and not the dark clouds which made us talk about death and dying.
Smith: Do you mean I can’t exactly remember the day we collected those pebbles stored in my cardboard? But those pebbles remind me of us talking about your last wishes!
Uncle Tom: All I am trying to say is, yes, we had come home empty-handed due to the storm. But that’s not the day we had collected those pebbles.
Smith: But Aunt Suzan was so annoyed with us for coming home with a bucketful of pebbles instead of fish! We were equally embarrassed too!
Uncle Tom: Oh! Surely she was annoyed with us, but not for the pebbles but for my childish behaviour!
Smith: (Nods his head in slight confusion)
Uncle Tom: The day we collected those ladybug-like pebbles was hot and sunny. Most of the good fishing areas were almost dry. That is the day we talked about my last wishes…
Smith: Oh! Now I remember! The stormy day, empty catch, and annoyed Aunt Suzan happened just before summers! The dried up river beds, the conversation about your last wishes, and the collection of pebbles happened in late winter! That day, Aunt Suzan was off visiting her ailing elder sister! She wasn’t even home! Hahahaha…!
Uncle Tom: Thank god you could pull apart those two distinct memories! I thought I was the one going crazy!
Smith: Don’t worry Uncle! I have preserved the pebbles carefully. In fact, the hymn ‘Rock of Ages’ which we sing regularly in our Sunday service also keeps reminding me of your last wishes…
Uncle Tom: (Humming) Rock of ages, cleft for me.... Let me hide myself in thee…

The Theoretical Plot in Brief:
            In the above dialogue, Uncle Tom tries to reflect what unique situation triggered him to talk about his last wishes with Smith, his nephew. However, Smith starts constructing the memory by associating it with similar memories. This leads him to construct false memories (also called confabulated or refabricated memory). He tries to recombine bits and pieces of different (perhaps similar) memories into a single, cohesive memory. That is how he tries to fit his annoying Aunt Suzan in both the cases even though she was only present in one, because she always got annoyed when they returned empty-handed. Smith has the whole scheme of what his Uncle is trying to say but in a confabulated manner, where some details are vague or misplaced. Since it has been encrypted in his memory like reality, Uncle Tom has to make extra efforts to separate the two episodic memories. Throughout the dialogue, Smith uses mnemonics to remember one incident in relation to another. He has the inclination to connect a memory, an object (the ladybug-like pebbles), and hymns to construct the entire episode and also keeps his Uncle’s last wishes in his long-term memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment